August evenings in West Texas beckon us to lounge outdoor as daylight sinks into the serenity of twilight. As darkness silently slips above our gardens, moon gardens ample with white blossoms turn out to be extra lively in the moonlight.
Moon gardens, variously known as white gardens or night gardens, dazzle with flowers that shimmer in the moonlight. Stately white flowers punctuate the backyard and aromatic floor covers cloak the backyard garden with waves of softness.
Flowers make the moon yard some with brilliant, luminescent blooms, some others with subtle fragrance. Assortments of top and size increase desire. Taller blooms sway in evening breezes, even though shorter blooms anchor the backyard.
Flowering shrubs frame a backdrop for a moon backyard garden:
• Crepe myrtles (Lagerstroemia indica) white with inexperienced foliage: Natchez and Acoma with burgundy-black foliage ‘Black Diamond® Pure White’. Achieve 10 toes.
• Rose (Rosa spp.), climbing roses want support, can be properly trained into pillars: ‘Sombreuil’, ‘Clotilde Soupert’, ‘Lamarque’, ‘Cherokee’, ‘Ballerina’, ‘Sea Foam’ and ‘Prosperity’.
• Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus ). ‘White Chiffon’ and ‘Diana’, pure white flowers remain open at night – excellent for moon gardens. Access 10 feet.
Flowering vines provide top when skilled on a trellis or pergola:
• Angel’s trumpet (Brugmansia candida), massive trumpet-shaped flowers, grows to 15 feet.
• Climbing hydrangea (Hydrangea anomala petiolaris), vigorous, climbs by aerial roots, might injury partitions.
• Moonflower (Ipomoea alba) opens at evening, toxic, also referred to as Jimson Weed, Devil’s Weed, Witch’s Weed.
Tall blooming bouquets:
• Garlic Chives (Allium tuberosum), placing star-formed umbels borne on tall stems flowers appear late summer prolific seeder, turns into invasive.
• Gladiola (Gladiolus) ‘Villa Blanca’, ‘Prosperity’, putting, prolonged stemmed blossoms bloom from base to top. Corms are planted in early summer season for mid to late summer time bloom date.
Annuals and perennials:
• Cleome (Cleome spinoso) ‘Señorita Blanca’, blooms all summer into autumn, spreading progress pattern, reaches 4 ft in top.
• Daisy (Argyranthemum frutescens) ‘Pure White Butterfly’, excellent container plant, blooms all summer season.
• Petunia (Petunia hybrida) ‘Supertunia White’, profuse bouquets, blooms all summer months.
• Verbena (Verbena hortensis) ‘Superbena Whiteout’, mounded advancement habit, blooms all summer.
Ground covers anchor the yard:
• Rose (Rosa wichuraiana poteriifolia) prostrate, floriferous floor cover, aromatic.
• Sweet alyssum (Lobularia maritima) ‘Snow Princess’, floriferous ground address, 4 inches in height, significant fragrance.
A excellent viewing night for gardeners with moon gardens is the up coming whole moon, August 22. Relax and appreciate.
Some data from antiqueroseemporium brighterblooms provenwinners.com
Ellen Peffley taught horticulture at the college stage for 28 decades, 25 of all those at Texas Tech, all through which time she formulated two onion types. She is now the sole proprietor of From the Yard, a industry back garden farmette. You can electronic mail her at [email protected]